Okay folks, who’s in? Jump Off the Ladder begins the day after tomorrow!
If you decide to get involved, let me know in the comments. Sometime around the first week of May, I’ll be putting up a success stories post, and I’d love for you to be in it! Even if you’re already a minimalist, there are always things we can downsize just a bit further. This is an exercise is changing how we think about what we own.
Pick one category of items or a money drain, and downsize it to the bare minimum. Here are some examples of what that may look like:
- Pick one pair of shoes, and put away all of your others.
- Only wear two types of makeup (i.e. concealer and lip gloss).
- Only spend money on food, gas, and bills (no shopping, no Starbucks, no Redbox)
- Put away all of your hair products and tools except your brush or comb.
- Put away all of your DVDs.
- Select one piece of “outerwear” (i.e. one coat, one jacket, or one sweater) and put away the rest.
- Only eat one type of “fun food” or snack food.
- Pick a larger category (like kitchen items or clothing) and downsize to 20 items or fewer (this is the one Jack and I are doing.)
- Only use one bath towel.
- Only use one drinking glass.
- Pick one item to take off of your usual shopping list. (i.e. anything with high fructose corn syrup, or disposable water bottles)
- Go through the jewelry box and pick one item to wear. Put away the rest.
If these don’t sound like your thing, make up a new one! For the last twenty days of April (11th-30th), abide by your rule. If it helps, blog about your experience during the 20 days. If you make it all the way to the 30th, I’ll feature you in a post!
And don’t forget to share this challenge with your friends. It’s so much easier when you have a support team. Who knows? Maybe a few will join you!